May 8, 2009

running into history




Early morning runs are great. Ok, so are not so early morning runs. (By 7:30 I have to encounter school buses and lots of kids wearing 80's colors and patterns.)

I've been enjoying the blossoming of the trees and as I ran past a flowering tree with it's fragrant petals falling on me, my mind went to Rachael's blog post of a few days ago--she was grading papers and looking out similar beautiful trees. The photograph she posted triggered my memory; I was taken back nearly 10 years to May of 1999 when I was a freshman finishing up my very first year of college at UW-Richland while I was literally in the library's corner writing my very first critical response paper on Wuthering Heights. It was the first time I realized I had opinions about...things.

Then my mind wandered to other papers I had written, and the crazy thing (to me) was that I could remember almost every paper I had written and where I wrote it, what my state of mind was, and if I was or wasn't pleased with the results. (I don't, however, remember what my professor's pleasure or displeasure with the results were though. Goes to show me that grades aren't only what matters.)

All those things add up...to skills, to memories, to stepping stones...to history.


Image: Luke Strosnider making a photograph in May 2006, 3 years ago. I randomly choose a folder of images from my computer, it happened to be from a previous May. Then I selected an image that was similiar to the light from my run this morning.

No comments:

archive